Friday, January 06, 2012

Static cling in my hair

I think I fixed the static cling problem I've been having with my hair. Either that or the weather has improved. I'm not totally sure. My hair is really long, to my tailbone for the longest fairy-tale strands. I wear a lot of nylon, mostly my down jacket or fleece jacket being the main sources of it. This plus winter plus having fine dry hair means the static cling has been a huge problem. This is what seems to work: After I wash my hair, I squirt some oil into my hand. I have some old Neutragena massage oil, but jojoba or coconut or other oil would probably work just as well or maybe even better. The trouble with coconut oil is it's solid at this time of year so it's hard to use. The oil is in a pump bottle like you would use for lotion. I give myself about 3/4 a pump. I run this through my wet hair concentrating on the lower 2/3 of my hair and more toward the ends. Then I wrap my hair in a towel while I get dressed. Then I comb it like usual. I even use a nasty plastic comb. If I could find a good wooden or bone one (at a store, I don't want to buy a comb online) I would use that instead. It doesn't make my hair oily at all. It makes it nice and soft. I've also been giving my hair a bit of spray-on detangler for good measure. I was using that alone and it did nothing at all to control the static cling by itself so it's probably not needed at all. It wasn't until I started using the oil that the static cling got under control. Also, I've tried putting the oil on dry hair and slightly damp hair, but I really get the best results--"best" meaning that it doesn't look oily--when my hair is wet. Even with the oil in my hair, my hair stays clean for many days. I don't put the oil anywhere near my scalp, so it's not like it would have much effect anyway. I can go 4 days between washing, maybe more, since my diet change (low in carbs and high in animal fat) and the onset of winter. Sometimes my hair looks a little bad near my temples and I'll just wash right there and not the rest of it. With such long hair, it's good not to have so much cold wet hair when it's winter. I don't blow dry my hair. I'm not a girly-girl. I don't wear make-up. I rarely wear a dress. I wear no jewelry except for a ring. I don't even like babies. But hair is my one vanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment