Thursday, November 03, 2011

Update

I guess what happened to me on Saturday was some kind of dehydration and electrolyte thing. I've since been taking potassium, magnesium and iodine supplements plus even eating salt poured into my hand. Along with lots of extra water, I'm starting to feel pretty good now. I was able to power-walk at lunch today without any weakness. I think I felt at about 95% of normal functioning. Normal being pre-low carb. Maybe I will do okay on my backpack trip later this month and my Ultimate hike in December.

I've never experienced anything like that before. I've become hyponatremic and dehydrated lots of times while hiking. It kind of comes with the territory when you live and hike in So Cal. But nothing like what happened on Saturday, the way it creeped up on me little by little during the week before, then blasted me on Saturday and took until Thursday to feel better.

I finally got a pair of Altra Lone Peak trail running shoes. I've been waiting a long time for them to design, build and sell these things. Sadly, they're actually too narrow for me. But they fit better than most running shoes so I didn't send them back. We'll see if I can hike in them or not this weekend. They were great on my power-walk today. A nice combination of minimalism and non-minimalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment