Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Homemade yogurt

I made some homemade yogurt. It came out GREAT! Wow! So creamy and sweet.

I used raw milk. I heated it to 175 degrees on a double-boiler and let it cool to 100 degrees after removing from the stove. It took about an hour to cool to 100 degrees. I poured the milk into a glass jar. I mixed about 2-3 spoonfuls of plain yogurt mixed with a little milk and poured it into the glass jar. I then wrapped the jar in a towel and put it in the oven with the light on. I thought I remembered that the light in our oven doesn't put out much or any heat, so I had preheated the oven to 200 degrees and turned it off long before the milk had cooled. When I put the jar in the oven, it was only slightly warm.

I left this overnight and in the morning it was yogurt! It seemed a little liquid, but after I refrigerated it for the day, it was the consistency of french yogurt and tasted just as good! I plan to try it with pasteurized milk to see if it comes out as good as raw milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment