Saturday, January 22, 2011

Eating more healthy

I don't eat very healthy. I usually eat something starchy and sweet for breakfast, such as a piece of cinnamon swirl bread with almond butter on it. Then I go to work where the boss often buys donuts or bagels. I have a hard time not eating them. I also drink a lot of coffee. I think that computer programming is to coffee as drinking is to smoking for some people. Computer programming seems to require coffee for the concentration.

We always have chocolate or cookies around the house, so I often eat some after work.

The Man likes a big dinner so I usually eat too much. Dinner is often some kind of pasta or burritos or Indian food with Naan bread.

I thought I would try eating more protein recently. I ate a lot of protein for a few days in a row. I got to where I didn't want to eat anymore protein. I really wasn't hungry much at all, actually. I think I ought to eat more protein on a regular basis. I just am not a good cook and meat is something I really don't know how to cook very well. I can cook a whole chicken. I can cut up steak and make something sort of Oriental out of it. I can cook a piece of fish. But that's about as far as I go and I don't like to do it much.

I also have been trying to eat more greens. I really like greens. What I would really like is to be able to identify wild edible greens, even if they are weeds, actually, especially if they are weeds. Then I could go for a walk, collect some greens to go with dinner, and cook something to go with the greens. Perhaps put them in a soup or omelet or serve them as a side dish.

Another thing I would like to do is cook more things from scratch. I often resort to various Trader Joes pre-assembled things that The Man likes to buy. I made lentil stew the other day from scratch. It had beets and kale in it rather than carrots. It turned out really good. I'm not a fan of carrots, but beets I really like. I also made a homemade spinach/mushroom cream soup using the wild chanterelles we found a few weeks ago. That probably wasn't very healthy because I put a whole cup of heavy cream in it.

Anyway, I don't really want to go for any fad diets. Just eat more real food and less stuff Trader Joes and maybe less cookies, donuts and bagels.

1 comment:

  1. A site of interest:
    http://feralkevin.com/

    and a book of interest:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0936699108/ref=oss_product

    ReplyDelete