Thursday, August 12, 2010

It's official: The Worst Summer Ever

Normally in summer here it is foggy 30% of the daylight hours. That fact is enough right there to hate summer in Santa Barbara, but this year it has been worse. It has been foggy 50% of all daylight hours since June 1. It is the worst summer we have ever had. The foggiest summer ever recorded.

Every morning I wake up to cold gray gloom. I have to turn on lights as if it was winter. I have to put on a down jacket to walk to work. Today I was still wearing my jacket when I arrived at work 1.75 miles later. The sun was out in the afternoon, but to do some things in our shady yard, I had to wear a jacket because the wind coming off the ocean where the fog lies in wait was as cold as the fog itself.

I've had all I can bear of this. I cannot wait to get the heck out of here. I leave tomorrow to go to the Eastern Sierra. I'm going to finish my trek on the PCT. Then I think I'll get a commemorative tattoo. And keep hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment