Thursday, February 18, 2010

Injured feet

Just as I thought, I have a sesamoid injury to my left foot and achilles tendonitis in my right foot. My doctor was pretty shocked that anybody could walk 30 miles in a day and even more shocked that I'd get right back up and do it again the next day, too.

I have to get some blood tests. There's probably nothing that can be done to help me, but my main complaint is that even now, 6 months after my big hike, if I go out and do a hike, I can barely get out of the car afterward. I'm so sore. I feel like I'm 100 years old. I limp and creak and hurt all over. Then I go to bed and feel fine the next day.

If I try new sports, like jogging or riding my bike, same thing happens. I get really really sore and then the next day, or maybe the day after that, I'm fine. If I bend over to pull weeds or clean the tub, I'm incapacitated for almost a week, though. My hamstrings just can't take it.

Because of all this soreness, it's very hard to find an activity I can do to try and stay in shape. I've gained back more weight than I lost from my big hikes, and I was hoping I'd feel better by now and be able to get some exercise and keep up my fitness. I was hoping to take up trail running so I could get that invincible, super-human feeling back again like I had walking so far every day. Alas, I can barely run down the street and back.

I guess I will have to stick to cycling. For the first time in my life, I live really close to work and now ironically, it's too close to ride my bike!

I'm too young to get old so soon. I thought I was just getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment