Saturday, November 14, 2009

Poison oak and prednisone

I got a terrible case of poison oak from my hike last weekend. It started popping up on Monday. By Tuesday I could feel it oozing from my eyelids. So I went to the doctor and he prescribed prednisone.

Prednisone is awful. It tastes awful when you swallow the pills. I don't know if it's the pills or the rash, but I feel swollen all over. My legs still itch horribly all the time. The rash is like a solid pattern all over my legs instead of stripes and patches like poison oak normally displays. I think it went systemic on me.

I forgot to take my prednisone yesterday and by mid-day my skin hurt all over. I still feel achey, even though I remembered to take the pills today. It also affects my voice. It feels like a strain to speak. My bowels are unhappy and I had a stomach ache today, too.

I don't know what is worse, the rash or the cure. Without the cure, the rash would be worse, but it's hardly helping. My skin feels hot and hard. I woke up drenched in sweat in the middle of the night even though The Man slept with a wool hat on.

I hope it wanes soon. It's miserable. But still, the backpack trip was worth it. I'd go out again right now if I could. But next time I think I will wear Tyvek coveralls or kevlar chaps while doing trail maintenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment