Sunday, November 15, 2009

Long hike today kicked my butt

Today I convinced The Man to hike with me on a preview of a big hike I am planning for the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The plan was to hike from the Romero trail along the Old Pueblo Trail to the San Ysidro trail and return to the Romero trail along the Edison road. I specifically wanted to find the way to the Old Pueblo Trail since I was not familiar with it. This wouldn't be a long hike, just a small preview of the part I was not familiar with.

When we got to the trailhead, The Man had a pouting fit so I told him I didn't want to spend the day with someone who was going to pout. He turned around and left me. I had no phone or money. So I just started hiking.

I found my way to the Old Pueblo trail and followed it all the way to the San Ysidro trail easily. Once I reached the San Ysidro Trail, I headed up the McMenemy trail to the Saddle Rock trail to the Edison Road to Hot Springs trail, through the bamboo tunnel of doom and up to Cold Springs trail and then up the West Fork trail to Gibraltar Road and then down Rattlesnake trail to Las Canoas road. Then I walked along Las Canoas where I saw a bobcat in someone's yard, then I walked down Mission Canyon Road and took the horse trail through Rocky Nook Park. I walked through the Mission Rose Garden and then through the city streets to my house.

I'm not sure how far it was, but I returned home around 3pm and was very tired. I had forgotten to take my prednisone again and by the time I started the long descent down Rattlesnake trail, all my skin was hurting with every step. By the time I was nearing home, the long road walking and the long walking in general had me feeling pretty tired and sore.

It was just like old times on the PCT. Hiking all day long, getting sore by the end of the day. I didn't do the same amount of miles I used to on the PCT, but I still hiked all the way across town today up and down the canyons of the foothills of the mountains, which is pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment