Friday, February 20, 2009

Positive feedback about Piper's Flight

I received an email today from someone who read my book. He wrote:
You were also brave to tell the truth about Agua Dulce and Donner Pass. These things needed to be said and I don't think I have ever heard anyone else do so in a public forum. Most of all, of course, I enjoyed reading about the trail, the familiar places seen again through another human's eyes. You did a terrific job of relating your physical experiences along with the mental and spiritual challenges life seems to throw everyone's way.
He also said that he's going to complete the PCT very soon as a section hiker. He began the trail with his wife in 2001. But they quit after the High Sierra. His wife hated the High Sierra as much as I did. I guess I'm not crazy after all.

I think that completing the trail as a section hiker takes much more dedication and perseverance than as a thru-hiker. Even though I have been planning to go back this year and finish the trail, I often have doubts whether it is the right thing to do. Actually, I know it's the right thing to do. I feel it in some place deep inside that this is the life I was born to live. But on another level it feels so irresponsible. I should be working full-time and succeeding like everybody else. I keep slipping further and further away from that, however. I feel so conflicted!

I had a flash of thought today. What if I began my hike in Dunsmuir, right where I left off? I could start there in July, finish at the Canadian border, then find a way down to Sonora Pass where I could hike southbound all the way home, finishing the portions I skipped last year and connecting the trail to my front door. I will have to think about this.

Anyway, It's nice to get positive feedback about my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment