Thursday, January 01, 2009

Last year's resolutions

Last year I made New Year's Resolutions. I usually don't do this. Here are what they were:
  1. Do some career exploration

  2. Reduce consumption of material things

  3. Go backpacking more
I achieved them all. Well, maybe I didn't really achieve number 1. I took a class that was in the career exploration section of the catalog, but it lead me to backpacking, not career exploration. But my career certainly has changed and become more exploratory. I listen to whales and work with birds and make web sites once in a while for people. Soon I will have to find another job. I have no idea what to look for, but maybe I will try a temporary agency. Or maybe I will become a companion to old people or a barista. I do not know. I will be taking classes at City College so hopefully I can gain some skills I can sell.

I'm happy that I was able to meet numbers 2 and 3 of last year's resolutions. It is good to reduce consumption of material things. Backpacking makes me happy, and last year I spent 3 months doing it, so I was very happy.

I would like to put number 3 on my list of resolutions this year. Problem is, I don't feel like making any resolutions. I feel too much in limbo. I have no idea what direction I am going. I do feel like the universe is telling me to return to the PCT and maybe I will do that, but I don't feel like making a resolution about it. I will do it if I do it.

If I were to make any resolution, it would be to spend as much time as I can hiking, walking and being in nature. If that means returning to the PCT, then all the better. If that means squeezing in more day hikes or at least taking a walk each day then I will be all the happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment