Monday, January 12, 2009

I love my boring job

I worked today at my job listening to whales. A thought popped into my head: I love my boring job. I'm not sure exactly why I like it, but I think it's a combination of things.

First of all, the people are nice. There is no office politics or micromanaging or jockeying for power. People just come in and do the work.

Secondly, I can work whatever hours I please. I don't even have to set any hours in advance. I can just show up, work and go home when I'm tired of it.

Third, I can daydream while I work. I think about returning to the trail to hike the PCT again and get excited about my plans.

Fourth, there's a little bit of challenge involved and little chance of making a serious error. All I have to do is do the best I can.

Finally, they make you feel appreciated.

Still, with all that, there's something else about the job that I can't quite put my finger on. It's just very pleasant. A relief, actually, after so much job anxiety for all the years of my life.

I hope I can find another job as good when this one ends. How do you look for a job that's basically data entry, boring and yet a positive experience?

Meanwhile, I saw a job in the paper for a marine sciences database job out at the university. After doing my whale job, that job sounded like a perfect kind of job to shoot for. I would feel good about doing database and web-app development for people doing research on the ocean. Maybe something like that could be my goal as I take classes at city college again.

No comments:

Post a Comment