Friday, September 26, 2008

What to do next isn't very glamorous

I am still not employed since my PCT hike. I have searched job listings each day and sent out resumes, but I have not had any luck yet.

I did get a lead on a temporary, part-time job listening to whales on audio tapes. I will probably end up doing that for a few months. I think this will be a good thing. What I ought to do is go back to school and take a few classes. I am lucky to have time and money to do this. I could improve and freshen my skills and have more options. All that time walking on the PCT wondering what I could do next and the answer ends up lacking any glamor or adventure. Well, maybe there will be some adventure. You never know.

It always seems like such a great idea to quit a job and be free. But after a while, I feel like I need something to do. It will be a long time before the next semester begins. I need to find more volunteer jobs. Perhaps I could volunteer with the election campaigns. I wonder if they can use people who do not make phone calls or solicit in any way.

Once the semester starts, I will probably take computer classes. I wish there was more I could do or something new. But I cannot think of anything that consumes me enough to get an advanced degree. I would like to learn more about plants and maybe work with them. Perhaps I will also take horticulture classes with the computer classes. Maybe I could combine the two. Too bad I missed this semester's classes. I could have taken a plant identification class. Perhaps with plant identification skills and database skills I could do something.

Meanwhile, my PCT book is coming along. I am cleaning up my writing and adding details that I never wrote down. Next week maybe I will have a chance to read a portion of it in my writing class and get some critiques. I think I am going to need an editor. There is a lady in the class who is willing to swap editing for web design. I feel like it has been so long since I did any web design that I can barely remember how to do it. I do remember some things because I decided to redesign one of my own web sites and was mystified by all the mistakes I had made. I suppose working so much, I did not have time to care about it and just threw it together. Still, it falls short of excellence.

No comments:

Post a Comment