Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Mulch is a beautiful thing

Today the weather was cool and moist. I felt great when I arrived at the garden. First I watered all the plants I usually water. Then I pulled a few weeds. Then I decided that I was tired of pulling the same weeds every week so I decided to mulch the heck out of the area I work in.

First I mulched with the "gorilla hair" mulch, covering the bare ground around the various plants in the perennial beds. Then I went for the hard-core wood chips and mulched all the grapes growing along the walkway. When I was done, the garden looked like a professional park. Everyone seemed very grateful for my hard work.

It was a wonderful way to spend the morning. For my efforts I was paid in an entire bunch of Misi Luki bananas, a dozen figs, a taste of quince and many passion fruits. In dollar value, the fruit put me over the minimum wage. In pride and enjoyment value, it put me higher.

The garden is wonderful. Still no word from the Parks and Rec department about my application to work in some other gardens. And now I'm trying to decide if I should sell 20 hours of my time each week to pay the rent.

No comments:

Post a Comment