Friday, March 14, 2008

Last day

Today is my last day at work. So far it's a rather routine day. I even got a new project to work on.

I've been working on my good-bye letter. I didn't write a good-bye letter at my last job. I think people want one at this job so I'm writing one. I at least want to let people know how to reach me.

As I near the end and begin to ponder going without income for a while, it does get a little scary. But it's a necessary transition, I think. I feel my attitude toward work is changing and that this separation from the old way is part of the change.

I am starting to understand now that work is just one thing that you do in life and that it should be a facilitator of life, not an interference.

Work should also be interesting. If it no longer interests you, it's time to find something new.

Doing new things doesn't make you a bad person. It makes you a creative and interesting one. There will never be one thing that holds your interest for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 40 years. So staying interested and passionate about what you do each day should involve changing what you do. Hiring passionate, interested and interesting people should be what hiring managers do. If not, then that's the wrong company to work for!

Work at a job is also a business relationship so there's no need to fill the experience with emotional baggage from when you were a kid. I signed an at-will contract and my will has run out. That does not make me a bad person. They're not going to yell at me and send me to my room.

They left me an invitation to call up and inquire about a job when I get back. I hope to go back to work when I return, but on my terms. I want to maintain my status as a temporal millionaire. It's possible I will "wise up" and go back to the grind. Perhaps I will do another 10 years of it to save up for the next big adventure. But in my heart and attitude I will not go back the same. I own my time on Earth now.

No comments:

Post a Comment